This is such a great meal to serve on cold winter nights. Make extra and freeze for quick meals during the week. You are going to love the crust on this one. It is flakey and there is enough to get a little crust in every bite.
- 4 tbsp (60 g) butter
- 1/2 cup (75 g) Finely Diced Onion
- 1/2 cup (65 g) Finely Diced Carrot
- 1/2 cup (50 g) Finely Diced Celery
- 3 cups (375 g) Shredded Cooked Chicken
- 1/4 cup (30 g) tapioca flour
- 3 cups (720 mL) chicken bone broth
- 1/4 teaspoon Turmeric
- celtic sea salt
- Chopped Fresh Thyme To Taste
- 1/4 (60 ml) cup heavy cream
- 2 (30 ml) Tablespoons Water
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C)
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium-high heat, then add the onion, carrots, and celery. Stir them around until the onions start to turn translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken and sprinkle tapioca starch over the top and stir it until it’s all combined. Cook for 1 minute, then pour in the chicken broth and stir well, letting it cook and thicken. Once it starts to thicken add the turmeric, salt, pepper, and thyme.
- Add the half-and-half or cream, then stir the mixture and let it bubble up and thicken, about 3 minutes. If it seems overly thick, splash in a little more broth. Turn off the heat.
- Pour the filling into a 2-quart baking dish.
FOR THE CRUST:
- 1.5 cups (145 g) blanched almond flour
- ½ cup (60 g) tapioca flour
- 1 tsp celtic salt
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ⅔ cup (150 g) organic palm shortening
- 6 TBSP (90 ml) cold water
- Using a fork, stir together the almond flour, tapioca flour, salt and baking powder.
- Cut in the palm shortening until the mixture resembles course sand.
- Stir in the cold water. Place in refrigerator while you prepare the filling. Check on your crust—it must be chilled completely! Take out the crust from the fridge and place between 2 pieces of parchment paper. Use a rolling pin to roll into a circle, then lay on top of your filling dish. Place on baking sheet and bake in oven for 30-35 minutes, until crust is golden brown. Cool for about 10 minutes before serving.